Tender and moist, these heavenly whole wheat blueberry lemon muffins are simple to bake and make a wonderful breakfast treat or snack.
One bite into these heavenly blueberry muffins will convince you that you don’t need any fussy crumb topping to have delicious muffins. These simple whole wheat blueberry lemon muffins are delicious just as is and bake up beautifully every time.
Using a combination whole-wheat pastry flour and all-purpose flour keeps these muffins nice and light while adding some extra fibre, minerals and antioxidants. Nutritious and high in antioxidants, fresh blueberries add pockets of juicy goodness to these lightly sweetened muffins and the added lemon zest makes these muffins taste summery fresh.
These whole wheat blueberry lemon muffins are still fresh and delicious a couple of days after baking. Keep them fresh longer by storing them in the freezer for later enjoyment. This recipe is adapted from Fine Cooking, you can take a look at the original here.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogourt
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, butter and eggs until mixture is well combined. Add the milk, yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla extract and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and fold batter with rubber spatula until almost combined.
- Add the blueberries to the batter and gently fold in. Do not overmix as it causes the muffins to be tough.
- Spoon the batter into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups dividing the batter evenly over the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and place onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for two days. For longer storage keep the muffins in the fridge. You can also freeze them for later consumption.
More muffin recipes made with whole wheat flour: