These easy Whole Wheat Lemon Blueberry Muffins are tender, moist and fluffy. Treat yourself and your family to these healthier, made from scratch muffins in less than 30 minutes!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
One bite into these heavenly blueberry muffins will convince you that you can make delicious bakery-style muffins at home. Blueberries, which are also nutritious and high in antioxidants, add pockets of juicy goodness to these lightly sweetened muffins. These easy to make Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins bake up beautifully every time.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Muffins
This recipe uses melted butter so you can easily mix these muffins by hand. Using a mix of whole-wheat pastry flour and all-purpose flour keeps these muffins nice and light while adding some extra fibre, minerals and antioxidants.
Yogurt is used instead of sour cream to keep these muffins light and low in calories. But you could use sour cream if you want a richer muffin.
The added lemon zest complements the blueberries and makes these muffins taste summery fresh, you can add an extra teaspoon of zest if you like them extra lemony.
You can use fresh or frozen blueberries. If you use frozen, just make sure you add them straight from the freezer, you don’t want them to thaw before.
These easy to make Lemon Blueberry Muffins bake up beautifully every time. This recipe makes 12 regular-sized muffins. Each muffin contains approximately 216 calories.
These blueberry muffins will stay fresh and delicious up to 2 to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature. You can freeze leftover muffins in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Defrost as many as you like overnight in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
More Muffin Recipes Made with Whole Grains
- Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Banana chocolate chip muffins
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I’d love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogourt
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, butter and eggs until mixture is well combined. Add the milk, yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla extract and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and fold batter with rubber spatula until almost combined.
- Add the blueberries to the batter and gently fold in. Do not overmix as it causes the muffins to be tough.
- Spoon the batter into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups dividing the batter evenly over the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and place onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for two days. To keep the muffins fresh longer store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the muffins for up to 3 months.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: