This good for you, chocolatey and creamy Avocado Chocolate Smoothie is made with simple ingredients and is a healthy way to satisfy your chocolate cravings!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Did you know that avocado is a nutrient booster? Eating avocados actually helps your body absorb more of the nutrients of the foods that you eat at the same time.
Avocados are also a great source of healthy fats, dietary fibre and per gram, they contain more potassium than bananas (California Avocado Commission, Live Science).
So go ahead and enjoy this delicious Avocado Chocolate Smoothie, it's perfect for breakfast or for afternoon energy boost!
If you're thinking that avocado and chocolate could not possibly taste good together, you really should give this smoothie a try. Since avocado on its own doesn't have a strong taste it blends well with other flavors. Plus, all that creaminess in a ripe avocado makes it perfect for use in smoothies.
How to Make it
To make this healthy chocolate avocado smoothie you'll need to make sure to use a ripe avocado. Using an unripened avocado will not blend well and will not yield a creamy smoothie.
You can use any milk you like, but different brands of almond milk contain more sugar than others, so remember to adjust for sweetness.
Here's an overview of the ingredients and steps for making this smoothie. For measurements please see the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Vanilla flavored almond milk - Or you can use another plant-based milk, such as soy or oat milk. And if you are not concerned about keeping this smoothie vegan, you can use dairy milk. You can add a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract to flavor the milk but it isn't essential.
- Ripe avocado - Fresh or frozen.
- Ripe banana - You can use fresh or frozen banana. Using a frozen banana helps to make this smoothie frosty like a milkshake.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - Cocoa gives this smoothie a rich chocolate flavor.
- Maple syrup or honey - For a vegan smoothie use maple syrup or agave syrup.
- Ice cubes (optional)
- To make this healthy chocolate smoothie, add all of the ingredients in the jar of your high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth.
- If you're not sure about the level of sweetness, you can always blend your smoothie and taste it before adding any honey or other sweetener.
- Pour your smoothie into a glass and enjoy!
How to Store
Smoothies taste best when they are enjoyed immediately. However, you could store any leftover smoothie in the refrigerator to use the next day. I like to blend it in the blender with a few ice cubes for an extra frosty and creamy smoothie.
If you have any leftover avocado you're not sure what to do with you can freeze it or make this Avocado Toast with Fried Egg.
More Breakfast Recipes
Avocado Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 cup vanilla flavoured almond milk or your favourite milk
- ½ ripe avocado pit removed
- ½ ripe banana
- 1.5 tbsp. cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- In a blender, add almond milk, avocado, banana, cocoa, maple syrup, and 1 cup of ice cubes.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Serve immediately.