Having a hard time getting enough greens in your diet? Try boosting your vitamin and nutrient intake with this vegan green Pineapple Spinach Smoothie.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
There are days where finding the time to eat right can be a daunting task. One of the quickest and easiest ways to remedy the situation is to get the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs in a fresh and easy to drink green smoothie.
My favourite green has to be spinach, I love its mild taste and how easy it is to blend with other ingredients. This smoothie was inspired by a recipe for Pineapple Spinach Juice with Ginger I posted a couple of years ago.
Though it's a tasty and refreshing juice and I do enjoy mixing vegetables with fruit to create delicious juices, we need so much more fruit and veggies when juicing to produce the same amount of servings as we do when making smoothies.
Plus, with smoothies, we get the nutritional benefits of fibre since we're using whole fruits and vegetables. And since fibre keeps us feeling full longer, smoothies are better for keeping our appetites in check.
How to Make a Spinach Pineapple Smoothie
Though I used spinach in this recipe, you can easily use kale to make this smoothie. Smoothies are often made creamy by adding banana to the mix, I used avocado for this green smoothie. The pineapple and green apple sweeten the smoothie and a touch of fresh ginger gives this smoothie just the right amount of zing to help us feel refreshed and energized.
- Pineapple. Frozen or fresh pineapple works.
- Spinach. I used fresh for this recipe. You could also use baby kale.
- Green apple
- Avocado. You could use fresh or frozen avocado.
- Ginger. I used fresh ginger.
- Water. I added water to thin down the smoothie.
- Honey. This is optional, you could add the sweetener you prefer. For a vegan smoothie, I like to use maple syrup. If you like your smoothies less sweet, you may not find this smoothie needs any sweetener at all.
Place all of the ingredients in the blender. Blend and add ice before blending again and serving.
If you haven't had a green smoothie yet, this Pineapple Spinach Smoothie is where you should start. The mild taste of spinach means this drink doesn't have an overwhelming veggie taste.
Try serving this smoothie to your kids, there's a good chance they'll actually like it. One out of my two did!
How to Store:
I find smoothies are best consumed straight away, but if you have leftovers, you can pour the spinach and pineapple smoothie into popsicle moulds and enjoy them later as a frozen treat!
Pineapple Spinach Smoothie
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups pineapple frozen
- 2 cups spinach fresh
- 1 apple Green
- ½ cup avocado fresh or frozen
- 1 inch ginger peeled
- 2 teaspoons honey optional. Maple syrup can be used for a vegan smoothie.
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Starting with the water, place all ingredients (except for the ice) in the blender. Blend, then add ice and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- For a vegan smoothie use maple syrup or another vegan-friendly sweetener to sweeten the smoothie.
- Smoothies taste best served right away but leftovers can be frozen in popsicle moulds to be enjoyed as a frozen treat.
This post was originally published in May 2018, it has been updated. The recipe remains unchanged.