Last Updated on October 22, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Make this easy one-pan recipe for Rainbow Trout Fillets with Roasted Broccoli for a healthy, light and delicious meal that can be ready in 30 minutes.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I'm really happy to be sharing this recipe for Baked Rainbow Trout Fillets with Roasted Broccoli with you today. One of the most popular recipes on this blog is this baked rainbow trout I published last year. And I'm not at all surprised about it, the recipe is quick and easy to make, light, healthy and so delicious!
Are Salmon and Rainbow Trout the Same?
The pink flesh of rainbow trout can easily be mistaken for salmon, and though trout and salmon do belong to the same fish family, rainbow trout can vary in colour from ivory to pink. I find rainbow trout to be milder in flavour than salmon, but if you prefer salmon you can easily use it in place of rainbow trout in most recipes.
Rainbow trout is high in protein and low in calories which makes it an ideal fish when looking for a quick and healthy meal. I like the convenience of rainbow trout fillets, purchasing them already filleted and depined (deboned) saves me time and makes it easier and safer when serving it to children.
How to Bake Rainbow Trout Fillets in the Oven?
Baking rainbow trout fillets in the oven is easy, you could wrap the fish in foil or parchment paper to keep it moist, but as long as you don't forget to check the fish there is no need for wrapping it.
I always check my fillets at 10 minutes, especially if the fillets are on the thinner side. You can always add more baking time if you need to.
To ensure the fish is cooked thoroughly just use a fork to flake the thickest part of it. If it flakes easily it's cooked, if not, return it to the oven and bake for a couple of minutes more before checking again.
What to Serve with Rainbow Trout?
One of the reasons I like rainbow trout so much is that its mild-tasting nature makes it perfect for pairing with a variety of vegetables, herbs, spices and sauces.
And for that reason, I'm always looking for different ways I can serve rainbow trout. One-pan meals that can be prepared and cooked in 30 minutes are great for weeknights and super busy weekends.
Preparing this delicious and healthy one-pan recipe for Baked Rainbow Trout Fillets with Roasted Broccoli couldn't be easier.
Start by roasting the broccoli for about 10 minutes. Then stir the broccoli and push it to one side of the pan. Add the seasoned trout fillets with a few fresh lemon slices and parsley sprigs next to the broccoli.
Cook until the fish fillets flakes easily with a fork, this takes approximately 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets. Broccoli and fish should be done at the same time.
How to Make Tahini Sauce
While the fish is in the oven you can get the tahini sauce ready. All it takes is a few simple ingredients:
- tahini paste
- lemon juice
Combine the ingredients together in a bowl, in the food processor or blender and blend the ingredients to get a silky tahini sauce.
If you didn't already know, tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds used in Middle Eastern cuisine. Tahini sauce can be served alongside a variety of dishes such as shawarma, falafel, roasted vegetables and fish. You should be able to find jars of tahini in most large grocery stores.
This recipe makes a lot of tahini sauce. You can cut the ingredient amounts in half if you prefer smaller amounts. I like to make extra because it can be used as a dressing on salads.
I hope you give this Baked Rainbow Trout Fillets with Roasted Broccoli a try, it's a favourite of mine and I think you'll really enjoy it as well!
More Favourite Recipes to Try
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Baked Rainbow Trout Fillets with Roasted Broccoli
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves medium
- ¼ tsp. salt more to taste
- ¾ cup tahini
- 1 juice from one fresh lemon
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Rainbow Trout Fillets
- 2 rainbow trout fillets approx 250g. each
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili pepper flakes (optional) to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley (optional)
Rainbow Trout Fillets
- Pat the rainbow trout fillets dry with paper towels. Rub the fillets with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add chili flakes if desired. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place a rack in the middle of your oven.
- Rinse broccoli, drain from water. On baking sheet add the broccoli, olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss the broccoli with the oil and the seasonings and spread out on baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of roasting, stir the broccoli and push it to one side leaving just enough space to add the trout fillets.
- Place the fillets on the baking pan and return to the oven. Cook for another 10 minutes before checking fillets for doneness. You can do this by using a fork or the tip of a knife to flake the thickest part of the fish, if it flakes easily, the fish is done, if not return to the oven for a couple more minutes before checking again.
- Start by making a garlic paste by crushing and mashing your garlic with a little bit of salt. If you don't own a mortar and pestle, you can also chop the garlic up really finely and then use the side of your knife blade to mash it and turn it into a paste.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic paste and salt. Add the tahini paste and slowly add ½ cup of water, whisking until the sauce is well blended. Taste and adjust to your liking. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a teaspoon of water at a time until you have reached the desired consistency.
- If desired add the chopped parsley to the tahini sauce before serving.
- To ensure the fish is cooked thoroughly, use a fork to flake the thickest part of it, if it flakes easily it's cooked, if not, return it to the oven and bake for a couple minutes more before checking again.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: