Last Updated on September 19, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
This easy and delicious puréed Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup is flavourful, nutritious and perfect for warming you up on a cold day.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I've been craving this Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup for a couple of days now. I decided today was the perfect day for it and I'm glad I did.
The combination of spices such as curry, cumin and coriander is delicious and what better way to savour them then in a warming soup on a cold day. It was just what I needed to warm me up and satisfy my craving for something curry-ish.
The aroma that filled my kitchen when I made this soup was so enticing that I couldn't wait to sit down for dinner.
Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup Variations
Though I used chicken broth in this recipe, you could easily use vegetable broth instead to make this a vegan soup.
I used a hot curry powder because I like spicy food, but if you prefer something with less heat use a milder curry.
Reduce the broth by one cup and add about one and a half cups of coconut milk for a creamier soup.
Also, if you really enjoy the flavour of cilantro you can add some to the pot of soup just before you purée it in the blender, delicious!
If you love curried lentil soups, check this Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup out!
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves medium garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 398 ml can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro washed and chopped
- Heat the oil and melt the butter together in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook stirring a few times until they begin to get translucent, add the minced garlic, jalapeno and grated ginger, and cook stirring until softened, about a couple of minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, curry, turmeric and salt and cook stirring until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes and their juices, the chicken (or vegetable) broth, the lentils and the chopped cauliflower florets.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and simmer the soup for about 25 minutes, stirring often so that the lentils don’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- When the cauliflower and lentils are well cooked, add the 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and the freshly ground pepper.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a blender and purée until smooth. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and if desired you can adjust the consistency of the soup with more broth or water. Garnish the soup with the chopped cilantro.