This easy and delicious creamy Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup made with curry is flavourful, nutritious and perfect for warming you up on a cold day.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup is inspired by Indian cuisine and is full of good for you ingredients. The soup is hearty, gluten-free and can easily be made vegetarian or even vegan.
The soup is packed with flavour. The combination of spices such as curry, cumin and coriander is delicious and what better way to savour them than in a warming soup on a cold day. This soup is also perfect for satisfying cravings for something curry-ish.
How to Make it
This soup is easy to make and full of nutritious ingredients. All of the aromatics in this recipe will fill your kitchen with an aroma so enticing that you will not be able to wait for dinner.
Below is an overview of the ingredients and steps to making a pot of this soup. Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for quantities and full directions.
- Olive oil and butter
- Red lentils
- Onion, garlic, jalapeno and fresh ginger
- Curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Cauliflower florets chopped
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro
To make this soup, prepare all of your ingredients so that everything is ready to go.
Start by sautéing the aromatics and then add in the spices. Then you can add the can of tomatoes, the broth, lentils and the cauliflower florets.
Bring it all to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer the soup for approximately 25 minutes.
When the cauliflower and lentils are well cooked, add two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Check the soup for seasoning and more salt or pepper if needed.
If puréeing the soup, carefully transfer it in batches (I like using a large ladle) to a blender and purée until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender to purée the soup right in the pot. Garnish the soup with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Though I used chicken broth in this recipe, you could easily use vegetable broth instead to make this a vegetarian or vegan soup.
- I used hot curry powder because I like spicy food, but if you prefer something with less heat use a milder curry.
- Reduce the broth by one cup and add about one and a half cups of coconut milk for a creamier soup.
- If you really enjoy the flavour of cilantro you can add some to the pot of soup just before you purée it in the blender, it's so delicious!
How to Serve
Serve this soup with warm crusty bread. You could also serve this soup with a dollop of yogourt or crème fraiche.
How to Store
Store this soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To freeze the soup, store it in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 to 4 months.
Thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat the soup over medium-low heat. If you like, you could re-blend the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender for a silky smooth soup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. The easiest way to make a soup thicker is to start by using less liquid (broth or water) in the recipe.
2. If you want to make it thicker after having prepared it, you can purée all or part the soup if you haven't already done so.
3. You could also add more cooked lentils, rice or potatoes. Simply cook them separately and add to the pot of soup. If desired, you can blend the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender.
4. You can also add a bit of cream or yogurt to make it creamier.
Yes. This red lentil soup recipe is healthy. Red lentils are very nutritious and contain a high amount of fibre and protein and are low in fat and calories.
No. Since lentils are high in net carbs they are not part of a strict keto diet.
If you love curried lentil soups, be sure to check out this recipe for Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup.
More Delicious Soups to Try
- Cauliflower, Kale and Leek Soup
- Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Healthy Asparagus Soup
If you make this recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Your ratings and comments can help others who are thinking of making this dish. Thank you 🤩.
Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves medium garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 398 ml can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro washed and chopped
- Heat the oil and melt the butter together in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook stirring a few times until they begin to get translucent, add the minced garlic, jalapeno and grated ginger, and cook stirring until softened, about a couple of minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, curry, turmeric and salt and cook stirring until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes and their juices, the chicken (or vegetable) broth, the lentils and the chopped cauliflower florets.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and simmer the soup for about 25 minutes, stirring often so that the lentils don’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- When the cauliflower and lentils are well cooked, add the 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and the freshly ground pepper.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a blender and purée until smooth. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and if desired you can adjust the consistency of the soup with more broth or water. Garnish the soup with the chopped cilantro.